Adapted from an original article courtesy of Nashville GAC.
Maybe you’ve already heard of hurling and camogie because of a silly Buzzfeed article (where they tried to tell you that some sport called Yağlı Güreş is older because it’s been around since 1357, but we all know that hurling is at least 2,000 years old. At least! So there.) Maybe you know someone who plays with a league in your city, and he never shuts up about it . Maybe you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about but you’re an athlete who craves something…more…much more than the sports you’ve been playing can offer. Well, you’re in luck. Hurling and camogie are the games you need in your life, and here’s why.
1. It’s for hockey players who hate the ice.
2. It’s for tennis players who want a bigger court.
3. It’s for baseball players who just want to tackle someone already.
4. It’s for football players who don’t want to wear pads.
5. It’s for soccer players who want to use their hands.
6. It’s for girls who know they can hang with the guys.
Does any of this sound like you? Then you’re in luck. There are clubs all over the United States waiting to hear from you. Doesn’t matter if it’s winter, spring, summer, or fall.
You don’t need equipment to get started. You don’t even need to have played a sport before. Hurling clubs have sticks and helmets for beginners. Cleats and athletic clothes are a good idea, and of course, bring plenty of water when you come out.
If you’re intrigued contact us or Google hurling in your city. You might be surprised to learn there’s a club there with players who can’t wait to meet you.